Many students dream of studying in Canada as it is one of the best study abroad countries for international students. A student will get the best living experience there with a quality education. But getting a study permit in Canada is not a cup of tea. From qualifications to documents, everything should be on point. Let’s know about it in detail.
It is a paper that allows international students to study at Designated Learning Institutions and stay in Canada as a student. International students must need it to start their education in this country. There is a big difference between this and a student visa. A student visa will allow you to enter a country, while a permit will allow you to stay there. Your final approved permit will be issued by a border service officer. While approving the study permit, the officer will use your permit reference number and the letter of introduction sent by the visa office.
How to get a study permit faster?
Getting a study permit faster will allow international students to stay in Canada and start their education soon. If you apply through a Student Direct Stream to enrol in a Designated Learning Institute, you can get this permit faster. As it is not a student visa, so to get entry to Canada, you will either need a visitor visa or electronic travel authorization. After getting approval for the permit, you will get one of these visa categories.
Entry Requirement to get a study permit in Canada?
Canada is such a country where getting an education is much tough when you have lackings of entry requirements. The authority is very rigid on appropriateness. You must match the entry requirements properly. You can come to study in Canada if you are-
- Qualified as a full-vaccinated traveller.
- Enrolling on a DLI-listed institution.
- Financial stability to pay for tuition fees, living expenses, and return transportation costs.
- Have no criminal offence and a clear police certificate.
- Medical certificates. ( You must be in good health).
- Evidence that you will leave Canada when the study permit expires.
What to do while studying in Canada?
You must maintain some mandatory things while studying in Canada. As an international student, when you don’t maintain these things, you may be eliminated from Canadian education. So the things you should do are-
- Progression towards completing your education.
- Maintain all the conditions listed on your permit in Canada.
- Stop studying when you don’t meet the requirements.
However, there may be conditions in your study permit. Such as-
- Do check if you are allowed to work.
- Learn if you are allowed to travel within Canada.
- Check the specific date when you must leave Canada.
- You can’t study at any DLI-listed university other than the one listed on your permit.
- Check if you need an immigration medical examination.
Who doesn’t need a study permit in Canada?
Most foreign students must need a permit to start their education in Canada. An exception is found in some cases. Such as-
- Staff or family members of foreign representatives.
If you are a staff or family member of foreign representatives of Canada recognised by Global Affairs Canada, then you may need not a study permit.
- Foreign Armed Forces Members.
If you are a member of a Foreign Armed Force, then you may need not a study permit. But you may need one if your family members or minor children want to study in Canada.
- Registered Indians in Canada
If you have a registered Indian status even if you are a citizen of another country, you may need not any study permit to take education in Canada.
Minor children don’t need a study permit if-
- They are studying in kindergarten.
- They are refugees or refugee claimants.
- If the children’s parents are refugees.
- If the children have already in Canada with their parents who are working there or on study permits and the children are in pre-school, primary, or secondary education.
If minor children reach the age of majority like if he is 18 or 19 years old, then they must apply for it if they want to continue their education in Canada.
Who takes French language and cultural integration courses?
If you are a temporary resident or asylum seeker, to take French language or cultural integration courses in Quebec, you don’t need a study permit.
Reasons to get a study permit
You may ask for a study permit even if you don’t need it if-
- Your study situation changes while you are on this permission. Whether your permission is valid, you can continue studying in Canada. Besides, if you have applied for the permit extension before it expires, then you have maintained your status and can continue your education before getting the new one. But you must stop studying if the extension is refused.
- If you are a fully registered full-time student at DLI and have a study permit that allows you to work while studying, you can able to work on-campus and off-campus. However, if you don’t have this, you can’t work while studying in Canada.
Documents that need to apply for a study permit
Submitting the right documents is very important to get study permission in Canada. Before applying for a permit, gather all the documents properly. However, you need these documents before applying for a study permit. Such as-
- Proof of Acceptance- Getting a letter of acceptance is very important when you want to study in Canada. This letter will be issued by the university authority. When applying for the application, you must enclose the original or the electronic copy of the letter. You may get it when you are conditionally accepted. After getting the conditional letter of acceptance, you will need to fulfil all the conditions to get the new course. In this case, you will get it for the length of this course and an additional year. After getting accepted for the main course, you need to apply for a new study permit.
- Proof of Identity- If you want to study in Canada, you along with your dependents must have a valid passport and travel documentation. If you are an online applicant, first upload a copy of your passport. After getting approved, you must send the original copy of your passport. Along with it, you need to upload 2 copies of passport-sized photographs with the name and the date of birth written on the backside of the photos.
- Proof of Financial support- You must have a sufficient amount to cover all types of expenses in Canada. You must prove you can support yourself and your family while studying here. You can prove your funds through-
- By transferring money to Canada and proving you have a Canadian bank account in your name.
- From participating Canadian financial institutions, provide guaranteed financial status.
- Proof of education and student loan from the bank.
- Your last 4 months’ bank statement.
- A bank draft that can be easily converted to the Canadian dollar.
- Evidence of the payment of your tuition and academic fees.
- A letter from your financial sponsor.
- A letter of explanation- A letter of explanation is mandatory to convince the visa officer to understand you and your goals.
- A Quebec Acceptance Certificates- If you want to study for more than 6 months in Quebec, you may need a Quebec Acceptance Certificates by the government. But if you want to study in Quebec for less than 6 months, without a CAQ, you can apply for the permit.
- A Custodian declaration- You must need to provide a Custodianship declaration certificate If the minor requires a custodian.
- Other Documents- If you are presently staying in your home country, you may need to prove your immigration status from the country you are applying from. If the Canadian Immigration authority needs any supporting documents, they will contact you to submit them within 30 days from the date they contact you.
How to apply for Canada?
To apply for a study permit in Canada, you must manage and arrange all the documents orderly. Besides, if you are applying for it, you must apply online whether you are inside or outside of Canada. Moreover, you will be eligible to apply on paper, if you face some problems applying online.
What to do after applying?
- Book Your Fingerprints and Photos.
After applying for a visa, you must book your biometric as soon as possible to avoid delays. Book your appointment by the deadline of your biometric appointment letter.
What if the Study Permit application procedures are incomplete?
The immigration authority will check your application to make sure you have all the necessary documents. If they found the documents incomplete, they will either return your application without processing it or request you about the missing documents. For the missing documents, you may ask to attend an interview with the officials of your country. Besides, if you are unable to submit all the documents while you are making the application, submit it through an online account or the web form. Moreover, you must update your application if you move or change your address or contact number.
After getting approved for the study permit
Now when you get approved for the study permit, you will get it in some ways. Such as- after your arrival, you will get it at the port of entry or they will be mailed to you when you are in Canada.
When you apply for the study permit outside of Canada
When you are applying for it outside of Canada, to allow you to study here, the authority will send you a port of entry named a letter of introduction. Do remember, this is not your study permit. When you arrived in the country, you need to bring this letter to a border service officer. If you are from a country where you need an eTA, the letter of introduction will include information about it. The eTA will be attached to the passport and valid until your passport has expired.
How to know if the Canadian Immigration system has refused your application?
There are many reasons behind the Canadian Immigration system can refuse your application. So the reasons behind refusals are-
- Don’t have sufficient money to support yourself while studying in Canada.
- If your medical examination reports are negative.
- Failed to convince the visa officer that your purpose to visit Canada is to study.
- Failed to convince the visa officer that you will leave Canada after completing your exam.
Being an educational consultancy firm, AIMS Education helps students to study in Canada without any hassle. Through us, a student can find the best university and courses according to their choice.
FAQ -Frequently Asked Question
Q. How early can I arrive in Canada before start studying?
Ans: There is no fixed time to arrive in Canada before starting to study. You need to reach there within a reasonable amount of time so that you can adjust to the country and prepare yourself perfectly before starting to study.
Q. What are the necessary documents to submit with the Canada study permit application?
Ans: After getting accepted by a Canadian institution, college, or university, a student can submit the study permit application there. With an application, you need to provide some necessary documents. Such as-
⦿ Letter of Acceptance from a DLI-listed institution.
⦿ A valid passport and recent passport-sized photographs.
⦿ Financially stable to support yourself and your dependents while staying in Canada.
⦿ Medical certificate.
⦿ Police clearance certificate.
Q. Can I renew my study permit in Canada?
Ans: Yes, An international student must need a study permit to get an education here. This document is issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. It may get expired. So before it, you need to renew it.
Q. When to renew my study permit in Canada?
Ans: You must renew your permit in Canada at least 2-3 months before the expiry date. You must apply for the renewal by staying here. After applying for renewing it, you can continue to study under some conditions.
Q. What are the reasons a Canada study permit may get rejected?
Ans: There are many reasons this can be rejected in Canada. They are-
⦿ Insufficient financial status.
⦿ Lack of language proficiency
⦿ Lack of reasonable acceptance letter.
⦿ Poor choice of program.
⦿ Inaccurate or incomplete documents.
⦿ Biometric scan problem.
⦿ Lack of connectivity to the homeland.